Thursday, May 2, 2013

Dear People of Christchurch

I've been mulling over my recent visit to your city for a while now, but it wasn't until tonight, relaxing in the luxury of a full bath that the words came to me....

Coming to your city was alot of first times for me.
It was my first time to the Sth Island...
My first time to fly in a plane since I was six...
And a first time meeting many wonderful likeminded women at the bloggers conference.
But it was also the first time that I finally " got it ".

Like so many New Zealanders, I sat glued to the TV watching the events of Feb 22 unfold, watching in disabelief that this was happening here in our little corner of the world.
But because I never had a connection to christchurch, and had never been there before, I found it hard to completely fathom how this would effect you all living there, experiencing so many ups and downs in the last couple of years.
On my recent visit, I could only wish that I knew the city as it was before. I wish I had the chance to visit all your architechtural landmarks, like standing in the Cathedral Square.


Instead I could only picture your city as it is now. 
 I liken it to a city recovering from the fallout of war.


I have a high regard for you all, as you go on with your daily lives, all while one by one buildings are torn down around you,


another road is closed off from road works...


another house taken away with only the overgrown gardens leaving a reminder of what was once there, and an ever increasing number of carparks each month.


I find, now that I'm back home, I'm talking more and more about you all and you're beautiful city, some may call it 'obsessed' and some might just not, "get it".
 I can't help but feel emotionally touched now when I see about you in the media, I feel I must spread the word about your daily struggles but also remind people how amazing your city really is.
How AWESOME your cafes are (like here and here )


 and your artistic flair that is obvious everywhere with many art installations and buskers to boot! 
and flowers, flowers everywhere...


 Then there are the lots and lots of beautiful old trees lining the sidewalks, and the stunning coastline....man I could go on, but I think you get the point and afterall thats why you're still there.....because its Christchurch.

But the biggest thing that stood out,
is how inviting and warm you all are. 


I thoroughly enjoyed my albeit, short stay there.
I was so lucky to have some very gracious hosts Deb, David and their family who gave me some memorable moments, starting with a jam packed first day, and ending with a thought provoking tour with David around the red zoned houses around Sumner and  up into the hills ( But I did manage to avoid the Gondala! which David was biting at the bit to go on - I'm afraid of heights) and then there was some much needed sensible advise from Deb herself, which has made an impact at home already. Thankyou to you both :)

I really look forward in the future to see you all again soon, and maybe this time I'll bring the family along to show them all that your city has to offer


Love Laura xxx

More stories about Christchurch here

Oops Edited to note: most of these pictures are courtesy of the shared Drop Box Pics

9 comments:

Cat said...Best Blogger Tips

What an absolutely beautiful post Laura
Christchurch has a piece of me also - but the people the people they just stand out - the love the acceptance the warmth the aaahhhh just warm fuzzies when I think of the people!
LOVE that bottom photo

Miriam said...Best Blogger Tips

great post Laura - I'm just so glad that you had such a great time. Deb is a perfect host :o)

Ange - Tall, Short and Tiny said...Best Blogger Tips

Fantastic post x

Leonie said...Best Blogger Tips

You said so well what's been on my heart Laura.
I am still trying to process the visit to Christchurch, most especially the resilience of the people.

Fantastic post and meeting you was a highlight of the conference for me
X

Leonie said...Best Blogger Tips

Yes - this is exactly how I felt/feel. Beautifully written post Laura xx

Schulz Family said...Best Blogger Tips

Very cool post. My father was the same until he stayed with us and had the 5.8 and 6.2 quakes on Dec 23, 2011. Then he got stressed, left and finally started supporting us. It is difficult to explain how we feel to people who have not gone through it. I think that is why the CHCH community is now so much more. We have all been through a lot together and it has given us all a lifelong link of understanding. Love that you had a good time.

Leanne M said...Best Blogger Tips

Beautifully written, Laura. While many of the photos show so much devastation, you have captured some pockets of beauty. I absolutely adore the pic of you standing in front of that mural.

Vintage Bird Girl said...Best Blogger Tips

Christchurch is my favourite city. We have holidayed there 4 times before the 2011 earthquake & twice since. It was truly a beautiful place, & although it's sad to see so much destruction, I am still excited to return. You could call us a bit obsessed too! Thanks for sharing your experiences. Xx

clare said...Best Blogger Tips

lovely post.
i was lucky enough to live in chch for 8 years. i haven't been back since the quakes...i'm a little scared to see what has become of my town.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...