Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Handmade Christmas and Birthday - Snakes, Rabbits and Bones!


Meet Mr Rabbit!
He's a bit of an explorer...
 

 Like any good explorer he's always well prepared with a good supply of snacks on hand, just in case, in his trusty satchel!
 

On a perfect sunny day it's fun to go investigating in the long grass.


Although everyone knows that bunnies should never let their guard down!!
 

WATCHOUT Mr Rabbit!!!

 Oh Dear!



 Is this the end of poor Mr Rabbit?

   
Phew!!  it's not!
Thank Goodness!!
It looks like it's just silly Rex the snake and Mr Rabbit fooling around again! 

Because after all Rex the snake wouldn't even harm a fly! 
He'd much rather chew on one of his bone softies!


Or take his friend Mr Rabbit on fun rides around the garden!


And together these great mates give the boys and girl in this household a lot of amusement!

Mr Rex is so long and cosy to curl up into, he also stops his owner from falling out of bed at night!


And you can even hide secret treasures down his throat, or shove your hand down and scream that your hand is being eaten!!
This was a big part of the snake softie request! that and he had to be huge!!! 'As long as my bed mum!' 


And after figuring out how to go about sewing Rex, a rabbit was requested too that had to have his own carrots....ya know, to complete the food chain!

So that was his Christmas present, and then his birthday came around this week and a food bowl and bones for Rex was requested
 

So leaving things to the last minute in my most typical fashion, it was finished midnight the night before! And Rex's fangs were finally added aswell, because afterall he needs those to naw on his new bones!

Details:  Mr Rex was made from $30 dollars worth of polar fleece and stuffing, additional stuffing from old pillows ( because this snake was hungry ) felt scraps, an old cotton cloth nappy for his fangs and a foam core from an old pillow for his hollow throat area!  
(that was my eureka moment!)

Mr Rabbit was made from more old pillow stuffing ( this time my mums ) some op shopped fabric and op shopped felt ( always stockpiling! ) and felt scraps for his satchel and carrots.....
I'll be sharing this pattern for Easter!

As for Rex's food bowl and bones?  the bones again used old pillow stuffing and more of that old cotton nappy.
The bowl was from more op-shopped fabric and for his name I used some lovely scraps from last years Scrap Bag Swap.

All in all this has to be hands down the most successful handmade pressie I've made, he absolutely adores his snake, even as I write this he is cuddled up on the couch with Rex wrapped around him.
It's so successful that more softies have been requested from the other two and he's making lists for his birthdays and Christmases to come.  Some of them absurd!
Next is a shark!!! Yikes!

Joining in with Leonie ( who I was lucky to have over at my house this last weekend!! ) from Sunshine x 3


17 comments:

Leonie said...Best Blogger Tips

Hahaha I laughed and laughed - great story! Man Rex is an amazing beast and that bunny - satchel and carrot oh my word!! Imagine having a foodbowl and an array of food options! Man you are clever Laura - I am in awe! Happy Birthday to your young man xx

Holly May B said...Best Blogger Tips

They're sooo cool!!! You're very creative and clever!

Fay said...Best Blogger Tips

So awesome!

Schulz Family said...Best Blogger Tips

Wow I am so impressed. I would never have thought of making a snake with an area where he could eat things down his throat. You are amazing!!

Leanne M said...Best Blogger Tips

Very, very well done all round. Great job!

Ginx Craft said...Best Blogger Tips

What drama! I was really a bit worried about the fate of your rabbit. I love all the little details.

Miriam said...Best Blogger Tips

so clever, I absolutely love the pillowcase throat idea that is genius!

BigLittle said...Best Blogger Tips

Wowsers, this must be the coolest snake I have ever seen! Love the bones and bowl too - so clever :) xx

Cat said...Best Blogger Tips

Absolutely LOVE this blog post and that you had visitors !! !!
Snake and Rabbit are gorgeous

Susan C. said...Best Blogger Tips

You should write a children's book, I was enthralled, waiting to see what happened next! :-)
I love the eyes and the pattern on the snake and the bunny too. If you and I were in the op show together there may be an unseemly scuffle as I try to elbow you out of the fabric bin, lol, I am picking up great little pieces at our local. Lucky we live overseas from each other! Hahaha

nz green buttons said...Best Blogger Tips

You are AMAZING! It's so, so, SO cool!

nz green buttons said...Best Blogger Tips

You are AMAZING! It's so, so, SO cool!

Leonie said...Best Blogger Tips

you are talented beyond belief Laura!! amazing!

Leonie said...Best Blogger Tips

you are talented beyond belief Laura!! amazing!

Bron said...Best Blogger Tips

I agree you are very clever and I can see why the kids love them so much. xxx

Juliet @ Tartankiwi said...Best Blogger Tips

Thank you for giving me a laugh today... I needed it! What a great story :-)
You are such an awesome awesome mum and your creations are amazing!

Barb said...Best Blogger Tips

That's awesome - you're so clever :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...